I. What should a leader consider when designing exercise programs for older adults?
- Joint stress
- Proper alignment
- Disc compression and loss of balance
- All of the above
II. What is the accurate order of Transtheoretical Model Stages of Readiness?
- Pre-contemplation, contemplation, preparation, action and maintenance
- Pre-contemplation, contemplation, action, preparation and maintenance
- Pre-contemplation, contemplation , preparation, maintenance and action
- Contemplation, pre-contemplation, preparation, action and maintenance
III. Regular physical activity in older adults can improve flexibility by:
- Shortening skeletal muscle fibres
- Increasing collagen turnover in ligaments
- Increasing collagen solubility
- Lowering viscosity of synovial fluid
IV. Perception of aging is a result of:
- Lifestyle choices
- Self-perceived health status
- All of the above
V. Why is a lengthened warm-up necessary in an older adult exercise class?
- To maintain absorption and distribution of oxygen
- To increase metabolic rate and speed of muscle contraction
- To increase heart rate and prevent the secretion of synovial fluid
- To prepare the body for the upcoming movements
VI. What type of aerobic training is most likely to be be discouraged in an older adult class?
- Circuit training
- Interval training
- High impact training
- Steady state
VII. What is NOT a benefit of exercise in older adults?
- Alters underlying disease processes
- Improves peripheral circulation
- Enhances stature and promotes good posture
- Decreases submaximal heart rate
VIII. For participants with osteoporosis in an older adult class, what should be included?
- Weight bearing exercises
- Spinal rotation
- Plyometric training
- Ballistic movements
IX. What does age-related atrophy coincide with?
- Decreased adipose tissue
- Decreased inflammation
- Arterial stiffness
- Glucose stability
X. When designing an activity class for older adults, why should the cool down be lengthened?
- To gradually decrease blood pressure
- To assist in thermal regulation and prevent blood pooling
- To improve lung capacity
- None of the above
Answers: 1 (4), 2 (1), 3 (2), 4 (4), 5 (4), 6 (3), 7 (4), 8 (1), 9 (3), 10 (2)